Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Lymph Node Drama

Today I got scared. Just for the record. Just in case anyone thinks I’m “so brave” all the time. Which, by the way, I'm not.

I realized today that in one of the areas where I have recently found two, maybe three, messed up lymph nodes, there is some swelling. I noticed a tiny bit of puffiness a few weeks ago but not enough to really pay attention to it. Today, I noticed definite swelling and some internal discomfort. Swelling is scary because it can be a sign of lymphedema.

Hopefully it’s not lymphedema.

According to the Mayo Clinic:
“Lymphedema refers to swelling that generally occurs in one of your arms or legs. Although lymphedema tends to affect just one arm or leg, sometimes both arms or both legs may be swollen.

Lymphedema is caused by a blockage in your lymphatic system, an important part of your immune and circulatory systems. The blockage prevents lymph fluid from draining well, and as the fluid builds up, the swelling continues.”

If you want to read more about it, you can check THIS or THIS. I would not recommend looking at images of it, unless you enjoy being horrified. Most of the images show the worst cases possible.

Hopefully it’s a passing thing and will vanish by tomorrow... On a positive note, I have a friend who is a physical therapist and there's a physical therapist who specializes in lymphadema at the hospital where my friend works. So if I need to see someone, there's a connection there.

Obviously this has triggered the eighty-five million questions I have in my head... I definitely need prayer for grace and peace. I also need to keep reminding myself of the promises God has made me....

That's it for now. I need to go to sleep. Thank you for your prayers...

3 comments:

  1. Hey Martha we're praying for you, and love you lots, goodnight

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine! When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers they will not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, nor will the flame burn you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior….Do not fear I am with you…” Isaiah 43 Love you lots and lots! M & D

    ReplyDelete