Thursday, May 13, 2010

Purpose/Attitude-Bottom Line

What am I doing to make the world a better place?

I was thinking tonight about my attitude. Mostly I was thinking about it because, as my mother used to tell me, “it leaves a lot to be desired.”

There are plenty of realities in my life, temporary and permanent, which discourage me on an ongoing basis. How much they discourage me and how much power I allow those realities to have seems to depend on how my sense of purpose is doing. When I have a strong and focused sense of purpose, I’m fine. When I’m too busy whining about loose steri strips or a sinus infection to remember my sense of purpose, I have problems.

I’m not saying issues aren’t issues. I’m saying that I need to keep them in their place in the grand scheme of things—the grand scheme of things being my overarching life purpose.

Tonight I was thinking and a question came to me. The question was: What am I doing to make the world a better place?

What specific actions am I taking on an ongoing basis, what have I done today, what will I do tomorrow, to make the world a better place?

Call it what you want.... Call it being a light in darkness, call it enlarging the Kingdom, call it being others focused, it’s the same idea.

I wish I could keep this in the forefront of my thoughts all the time.
It would make my head and the world a better place.

4 comments:

  1. Martha, I would definitely call you a light in darkness. In fact, I think that's a very good description of you!! Love, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, anytime you are available to do some landscaping over here would be amazing! you should see our wild jasmine vine on the front railing...it's going crazy and covered with flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was talking about "being focused on others' needs" to a young and lovely teen just yesterday. And I admitted to her that I fail at this over and over. Thankfully, God loves us and keeps working in us and through us.

    Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Martha. Just wanted to point out that all of your beautiful creativity and artwork makes this world a much better place, every single day. The creativity that you instill and foster in our young people is a gift that will live forEVER. My daughter is an artist and I am so grateful for everything she has been taught by all those who have guided her along the way. People just like you... Still praying, as always. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete