Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Light vs. Darkness

The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. John 1:5


I love how God keeps shining His light into my darkness. I was reading this morning and took this photograph of the side of the bookshelf next to me.

This is what I’m trying to soak in and keep in my heart and mind today, and always, in light of the promises God has made me and what He’s chosen to do with my life:

So when God desired to show more convincingly to the heirs (to me) of the promise the unchangeable character of His purpose, He guaranteed it with an oath, so that by two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, I who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before me. I have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of my soul, a hope that enters into the inner place behind the curtain, where Jesus has gone as a forerunner on my behalf…. Hebrews 6:17-20

Let me hold tightly without wavering to the hope I affirm, for God can be trusted to keep His promise. Hebrews 10:23

But I am looking for a better place, a heavenly homeland. That is why God is not ashamed to be called my God, for He has prepared a city for me. Hebrews 11:16

And let me run with endurance the race God has set before me. I do this by keeping my eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects my faith. Because of the joy awaiting Him, He endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now He is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne. Hebrews 12:1-2

I personalized the pronouns in some of the verses because that’s how I read these verses, as gifts from God to me.

This is a daily issue, it’s an ongoing struggle, and it is really difficult to keep from allowing myself to slip back into the darkness. But the light is there.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the actual picture paired with your verbal picture of what God is doing in you and around you. Grateful that as He shines on you, you're willing to share your heart with the rest of us.
    Trusting His grip on you, Susan T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm several steps behind you on this journey...I don't exactly know how many. Your blog is a blessing to me. Love the verses in Hebrews that you shared today. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete